What is Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA)?
Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA) offers FREE tax help to hard working individuals and families from Santa Clara County. United Way Silicon Valley partners with the Internal Revenue Service (IRS), churches, nonprofits and other organizations to offer you free tax help. Tax preparation services are provided by trained, IRS-certified volunteers in a number of languages. All locations are IRS authorized e-file providers. Download the EKS-VITA Overview (PDF) to learn more.
What services are available at Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA) sites?
- Free, quality tax preparation and electronic filing
- Assistance in signing up for certain public benefits
- Help for immigrants (multilingual services and applications for tax payer identification numbers)
- Information and referral to credit and debt counseling services, financial education, homeownership
counseling, food assistance, individual development accounts, etc.
How do I qualify for free tax help?
Volunteers are trained to prepare basic Forms 1040EZ, 1040A, 1040 with Schedule A, B, limited Schedule CEZ, C and California State Income Tax returns ONLY.
Additionally, your 2014 income must be less than $53,000 and you CANNOT be filing as Married, Filing Separate returns.
Where do I go to get my taxes prepared for free?
More than 40 free tax sites are located at various churches, libraries and community centers throughout Santa Clara County. Most sites are open from late January to mid-April.
To find a VITA site near you select from any of the options to the right or dial 2-1-1 from any phone in Santa Clara County or 866-896-3587 from outside the county. Most sites are walk-in (no appointment necessary) unless noted otherwise.
What to bring to your VITA appointment:
- Proof of identification such as a driver's lisence or other photo ID
- Social Security Cards or Individual Tax Identification Number (ITIN) for you, your spouse and your dependents
- Birth dates for you, your spouse and dependents on the tax return
- Wage and earning statement(s) such as Form W-2, 1099's, 1098's and all other tax forms you recieve
- A copy of last year’s federal and state returns if available
- Proof of bank account routing numbers and account numbers for Direct Deposit, such as a blank check
- Proof of health insurance, Forms 1095-A, B or C
Questions about VITA? Call 1-800-829-1040 or 1-800-906-9887
2015 VITA LOCATIONS & HOURS
ALL 2015 VITA SITES ARE NOW CLOSED
Please check back beginning January 2016 for a revised listing of VITA sites.